Straight Ahead

Thoughts of a conservative, Southern Presbyterian minister who also happens to be totally blind, with comments about theology--and everything else, too, from sports and the South to politics and favorite food. Anyone can comment.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

A New Take on the Pastoral Visit

A recent "Dear Abby" column presented a different take on the pastoral visit. Apparently, many church members consider the traditional pastoral visit to be an unwelcome intrusion. They would rather see the pastor at church; and the pastor who wants to get acquainted with church members is advised to do it at church gatherings and fellowship activities. I don't know how accurate this is; but it does reflect changes in our culture over the last fifty years or so. I have actually been criticized in a couple of instances for not making enough pastoral calls in non-crisis situations--even though I have always believed that the best way to get to know the members of my congregation is to see them in their natural habitat. (A few members seem to have thought I should visit them every few weeks, whether they actually needed a visit or not.) The traditional pastoral visit is more difficult now because of more two-income households, more activities in which the kids are expected to participate, and, in some cases, just the distances required to travel between and among our various spheres of interest. Yet, Christians are expected to practice hospitality. This is mentioned throughout Scripture. Pastors are expected to love and guide their flocks. I have had situations where church members definitely did not encourage a visit by the pastor. Times are definitely changing. What this tells us about the future of the relationship between the pastor and the church member, I am not sure; but I do know that as I begin this new pastorate, I will have to be very diligent and discerning as I seek to determine how best to minister to each member and each prospective member of my church, not to mention ministering to the wider community.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/31/2007 08:54:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I thought that was an interesting column as well. In the parish I served in Illinois, I was always encouraged by my parishioners to visit; then again, as it was an older congregation, perhaps they were working from an older "paradigm" of ministry. I wondered what sort of congregation would be composed of individuals who saw the pastoral visit (and, by extension, some measure of pastoral care) as an "intrusion." Perhaps a congregation that sees the pastor as one who will "do the bidding" of the congregation; I have had friends and colleagues among the clergy who have been in just such congregations...

     
  • At 8/31/2007 09:12:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sandi and I have noted that pastoral visits are equated with punishment (i.e., I'm getting a visit because I did or said something out of line). This has happened because the past spiritual leadership of the local church has reduced the visits to disciplinary actions. We have found that people are more open when asked into our home for a meal. The time of fellowship lends itself to spiritual and beneficial conversation.

     
  • At 9/01/2007 03:13:00 PM , Blogger Pastor Lance said...

    "Pastoral visits" is a fantastic topic. I will be blogging on this topic in the coming week.

    Pastor Lance
    FullCourtPresby.blogspot.com

     
  • At 9/03/2007 06:26:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My first two pastorate welcomed pastoral visits. In the first, a rural congregation, I could not do enough. The second, an urban residential congregation, did not require as much but did require some since the majority of members were elderly. Bottom line: I got used to calling on people in their homes the first eight years and got to enjoy it. Then I moved to a county-seat situation and guess what - they did not want you in their homes! Perhaps they did not want you to get to know them so well. Whether you want the pastor to call in the home or not, all congregations in a permenant pastoral relation in our denomination (PCUSA) make a vow at their pastor's installation to "welcome their pastoral care."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home